On Sunday, two assailants triggered an explosion near government buildings in Ankara, Turkey. The attack resulted in the deaths of both attackers and injuries to two police officers. This incident is being described by authorities as the capital’s first terrorist attack in several years.

CCTV footage, acquired by Reuters, depicted a vehicle arriving at the primary gate of the Interior Ministry. One of the individuals inside the vehicle swiftly advanced toward the building and was then consumed by an explosion, while the other individual remained on the street.

The explosion resulted in the death of one of the terrorists, while the other was “neutralized” or eliminated, according to the interior minister. This incident sent shockwaves through a central district housing ministerial buildings and the nearby parliament.

During the inauguration of a new parliamentary session several hours later, President Tayyip Erdogan referred to the morning’s assault as “the latest attempt” to sow fear among the Turkish populace.

Those who threaten the peace and security of citizens have not achieved their goals and never will,” he said.

The explosion that occurred on Ataturk Boulevard marked the first such incident in Ankara since 2016 when a series of deadly attacks afflicted the nation. Subsequent video footage depicted a Renault cargo vehicle stationed at the site, with shattered windows and open doors, amid debris. The scene was surrounded by soldiers, ambulances, fire trucks, and armored vehicles.

According to a high-ranking Turkish official who spoke with Reuters, the assailants had commandeered the vehicle and fatally assaulted its driver in Kayseri, a city located 260 kilometers (161 miles) to the southeast of Ankara, before executing the attack. Additionally, one of the wounded officers sustained injuries from shrapnel.

Two terrorists came with a light commercial vehicle in front of the entrance gate of the General Directorate of Security of our Ministry of Internal Affairs and carried out a bomb attack,” Ali Yerlikaya, the interior minister, said on social media platform X.

Today’s assault has been claimed by the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), an organization designated as a terrorist group by both Turkey and its Western allies.

A sacrificial action was carried out against the Turkish Interior Ministry by a team from our Immortal Brigade,” the PKK told the ANF news agency, which is close to the Kurdish movement.

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Anwaarul Haq Kakar strongly denounced the “dastardly terrorist attack” and expressed Pakistan’s unwavering solidarity with its Turkish counterparts in the battle against the menace of terrorism.

Latest News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *